A blog dedicated for PCOS sufferers from India
Wednesday, January 2, 2008
My PCOS Story
Here is my story about PCOS.

I used to get regular period till my marriage since puberty. As most of the Indian women I got married to a Software Engineer and went as a happy housewife to USA.

US weather made me the laziest person in the world. I used to sleep for 12 hrs a day and have cornflakes for breakfast and some form of rice for lunch and dinner. We used to live in a single bedroom apartment and the only physical activity I did was cleaning the house.

All I did there was eating and sleeping without any kind of physical activity apart from the occasional shopping and library trips.

Problem Starts Here – First Meeting with the Gyno

After I went to US, I didn’t get my period for the first 3 months. Then the next period was delayed for more than 3 months and decided to meet a gyno. Now I feel really angry on the gyno.

All she did was a pregnancy test and charged me $140 and explained that it might be due to the change in climate. She prescribed me Provera (progesterone pill to induce periods) and asked me to take it for 2 weeks. I got my induced periods. I didn’t continue with Provera after that.

During the meeting she also asked me whether I am taking any contraceptive pills. As I always had an aversion towards it, I didn't take it. Now, this is another thing that makes me frustrated. Why does everyone promote using contraceptive pills if it had been proven to induce PCOS?

Even though only a small percentage of women are affected I feel it is really bad because none of the women at the time of taking it knows it might cause a syndrome like this.

Second Meeting with the Gyno

O.K. next phase. We came back from US to India in Jul 2003 and fixed an appt. with a doctor over here. I went to her, to consult about my main concern - irregular periods. She touched my lower abdomen and said I have retroverted (tilted backwards) uterus. She also explained that there is nothing wrong in having irregular periods and went on saying that some women will have a cycle of 28 days and for some women it is 60 days etc…
She also did manual repositioning of my uterus and made it normal(anteverted position).

She put me on a drug called regesterone(I think Indian version of Provera) and it induced my periods for about 6 months and then I stopped taking it.

Until now, I didn’t have any other symptom of PCOS apart from irregular periods.

Symptoms start here

In the meanwhile we came to Australia for his work in Apr 2004. I stayed at home for a while and started looking for work once my visa things are sorted out. I got a job in in Aug 2004 and then lead a happy living for nearly one year. After one year, I went back to India for vacation for 4 weeks and came back.

This is when I started getting severe acne. I tried lots and lots of products, went to a dermatologists and nothing seemed to work. She put me on Benzoyl peroxide and I hoped it would work. But, it started to get worse and worse.

I was really feeling helpless at this stage. My self confidence is at an all time low and as didn’t know the cause of it. I was trying so many things from avoiding dairy products to avoiding eating at some stage.

Meeting the GP

We thought of having a family since then and went to the GP for general check up. He prescribed a lot of test like Hep A, Hep B and Rubella ….

We went to the GP to get the blood test results and found I wasn’t vaccinated for Hep B and Rubella. So, he asked be to get vaccinated for Rubella and also suggested me to get my Pap smear done.

I got vaccinated for Rubella in Jan 2006 and had to wait for 3 months before ttc. My Pap smear results were ok by the way. In Apr 2006 I had to travel regarding my work for 3 months and again we postponed the ttc phase.

Starting the TTC journey

We have been TTC from August 2006.
I used to get stomach pain now and then and I decided to meet a GP to know the cause for it in Oct. 2006. When I went to the GP she analysed my stomach and asked me where the pain was. I had always felt the pain in the upper abdomen and that's what I told her. She ordered a pelvic ultrasound for me and found no issues with the ultrasound. After trying for nearly 4 months we went to the GP again for check up related to infertility. She convinced us by saying that it is normal for ordinary couple to take up to 1 year to be able to conceive.

No one knows the cause

Ok. What next. Still I am having severe acne and because I got acne at the age of 23 I read a lot on the internet and figured out it might be related to my hormones.

The weird thing I do get regular periods now and then and now I feel that I get regular periods when I do some physical exercise. During the 4 months of trying we tried the ovulation test now and then and got positive results for 3 months in 5. Not sure whether I got ovulated the other 3 months as I didn't test regularly and purely tested on my symptoms (pain in the ovaries).

I myself tried to figure out the cause

Though I had the symptoms of acne, irregular periods, pelvic pain etc. . .none of the doctors suggested ultrasound for my ovary. I read PCOS as being one of the reasons for adult acne; I started to do some research on it. Then I found these whole heaps of information in the internet and got terrified.

I rushed to my GP and requested ultrasound for my ovaries. My request seemed like fun to him and he said irregular periods and acne are common problem. It seemed to me that he kind of reacted as if I am overreacting. But, I was stubborn and requested the u/s referral from him.

Finally Diagnosed

Finally I got the appt. for ultrasound on Jan 18th 2007. I got the results from my GP and on 21st Jan 2007, I was found to have PCO. After reading the results from my ultrasound, my GP suggested me to meet a gynaecologist.

(PCO "Polycystic Ovaries" is a condition in which your ovary consists of multiple small cysts forming a pearl necklace shape - this definition makes my stress worse). When I was diagnosed with PCO the first thing I did was came and searched Google. Reading all the information from the internet, I was really worried. One other thing that bothered me was information such as infertility, no cure for PCOS etc…

First Meeting with Gyno after PCOS Diagnosis

Got appointment to meet a male gyno on 31st Jan. Though I was not convenient meeting a male gyno, I went to him because I got the appt. with female gyno only on 2 weeks later. I believed it was mainly due to laziness in US and I could really see a link b/w my exercise and regular periods. To confirm my theory, I started walking 1 km a day and went to gym for half an hour.

I was eating only low GI bread and gave away white rice. I got positive ovulation test on 1st Feb 2007 (got my period on Jan 13th 2007-So think it was OK). In the meanwhile I met the male gyno on Jan 31st 2007 and he did an ultrasound and Pap Smear. From the u/s he told me my right ovary is enlarged. Started adding that, if we are ttc he would like to put me on fertility drugs.

I was bit upset because without even doing the blood tests and seeing which hormone levels are high/low… he was trying to put me on fertility drugs?. I do ovulate as per my kit.

Normal Blood Test Results

Pap smear was negative ( Thank God!!) and waited for by blood tests till 6th Feb 2007(to correctly measure my hormone levels). All my blood test results came out normal. I didn’t have Insulin Resistance- typical symptom of PCOS. The only issue I have now is PCO, acne and retroverted uterus.

Lifestyle Change

I continued my lifestyle changes in the form of exercise and the type of food I choose to eat. I started ovulating regularly and currently having a 30-38 day cycle. Not so perfect, but atleast I am happy that I am moving in the right direction.

Continuing TTC

In the meanwhile, we are continuing with our TTC journey and started taking Clomid 25 mg as per my gyno from Oct 07. This will help me predict my exact ovulation day and help me have a 30 day cycle. BTW, I am meeting a female gyno these days. I am taking Metamucil fibre supplement as it is supposed to naturally detoxify your body. If you are having digestion problem in the beginning of the cycle, I would suggest you to take fibre supplement. As most PCOS women are oestrogen dominant (few of them have oestrogen deficiency, so it is better to understand your situation), detoxifying your body will get rid of the excess hormones from your body. So, it might help you to ovulate regularly. I am also taking folic acid supplements.

Result Oct’07

I ovulated on 26th October and got my periods on 13th November (17 days after ovulation)

I am continuing with my ttc journey and will post my progress each month and the treatments and symptoms I am undergoing.

I feel like I had reached the end of the world sometimes. But, I believe, I can reach there one day and I am just waiting for that day.

Result Nov’07

This month as well I took Clomid and monitored the follicle growth through ultrasound. Had an IUI but got a BFN and periods after 21 days post ovulation.

Result Dec’07

Not taking Clomid this month and seeing what would happen with natural way…
Mainly because my gyno. is on a holiday. Will see what 2008 has in store for me...

Result Jan'08

Ok, I got my periods on 15th Jan. So, it is all regular and I am not planning to take Clomid next cycle as well. Meeting the gyno on Feb 5th as I couldn't get an appointment earlier.

Baby dust to all who are TTC!!

Labels: , ,

posted by Priya @ 3:30 AM  
13 Comments:
  • At July 9, 2008 at 7:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Priya, It was nice to see your blog here. Just wanted to share my PCOS story with you. My name is Divya. I am 23 years old and came to US 2 years back. After one year of staying here, my periods started getting irregular. I saw a Gyneacologist and he tested my male hormone levels and did an ultrasound of my ovaries. He found me to have PCOS and put me on Birth control pills. My periods got regular after that. Now, around 1 year of being on Birth control pills, my thyroid level has gone low and my doctor put me on another hormonal medice to keep it normal. And now I feel really bad thinking that I shouldn't have started on Birth control pills since this has led to my thyroid imbalance. When I ask my doctor that if I can leave the pills, he says no because, in a long run they will help in preventing other diseases like endometrial cancer etc. I am really confused as to what to do now.

     
  • At July 12, 2008 at 4:13 AM, Blogger Priya said…

    Divya,

    It is true that that PCOS can cause endometrial cancer especially when irregular periods is associateed with it. Have you tried doing regular exercise and eating LOW GI foods. My periods became regular after that. It might work for you as well.. BCP's help with symptomps such as acne, but it has some terrific side effects in the long run.. So, if you are successful in bringing regular periods with proper food habits and exercise you might not have to continue pills..Give it a try!! Good Luck!!

     
  • At February 5, 2009 at 9:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Priya,
    Could you tell me what test were done to confirm presence of insulin resistance. What were the reference ranges. I am a victim of PCO for more than 10 years now but no doctor has ever made an effort to confirm insulin resistance, they just assume I have it. Please guide me in this regard

     
  • At February 13, 2009 at 2:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Priya,

    It was nice that you shared your story.My name is Pooja and I have the same story as yours. I came here and due to wrong eating habits and lazziness in doing exercise,my periods got irregular.I didnt even think or was noting my periods until we started ttc.I do have acne which started only once I started taking clomid and other hormonal therapy,its hard for me to decide that whether its due to the medicines or due to pcos symptoms which were reflecting.My dr have advised to go for metformin and since I am not immune to rubella he asked to get the vaccines and also to have BCP for that month. I have never been on BCP and am very reluctant and afraid in taking so. But the dr is advicing it will help in balancing hormones like testosterone which is slightly elevated. He has also not adviced me to go for laproscopy.I am very afraid of taking any BCP for a month also as I heard so much of the defects caused by it.I am confused.

     
  • At March 29, 2009 at 10:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Priya,

    would like to know your current status now after going through ur Blog.
    I am also a victim of PCOS and searching for stuff related to PCOS
    If u have some time please tell me some remedies as i have also completed my blood Hormonal tests with normal including my insulin levels and dont really know what next? whether to take clomid or natural process.
    Need suggestions Please!!!

     
  • At August 25, 2009 at 12:15 AM, Blogger Priya said…

    test

     
  • At August 25, 2009 at 12:17 AM, Blogger Priya said…

    Hey Pooja, I am not a big fan of BCP's. But, I have heard it does wonders for clearning up acne flares. Also, if people are undergoing fertility treatments doctors might suggest BCP's to regulate the period length. Note BCP's only regulate period lengths not actual periods.

     
  • At August 25, 2009 at 12:20 AM, Blogger Priya said…

    Hey, I have been bit slack due to work. I will be updating my story soon @ http://treating-pcos.blogspot.com/2008/01/my-pcos-story.html

    I have a beautiful baby boy now :) That's why I can't keep up with the posts now...

     
  • At September 15, 2009 at 3:49 PM, Anonymous Rajitha said…

    Congratulations !!

    Finally u did it !! I Appreciate you.
    Thank you for updating. I was checking your blog now and then whether you have updated recently.

     
  • At October 14, 2011 at 10:12 AM, Blogger seema said…

    Hi Everyone,
    I have PCOS as well. I am taking metformin, aldactone and a BCP. I have PCOS since 2004. I never thought i would have a child, but I did in 2009. Studies have shown that metformin increases fertility. I stopped taking BCPs in 2008, since I thougth i would never get pregnant. Next thing you know I had a baby girl! Please look into this instead of spending so much time and money on fertility treatments.

     
  • At October 14, 2011 at 10:15 AM, Blogger seema said…

    I am overweight with pcos. Any ideas on low carbing as an indian vegetarian. I mean any meal ideas with low glycemic index foods?

     
  • At December 13, 2011 at 4:02 AM, Blogger sharepa said…

    Hi
    I had irregular periods.And after marriage when it was checked I had pcos.I was prescribed Metformin and said it would take 6 months to conceive.But by God's grace within a month i conceived and is blessed with a boy baby.He is 8 now.I have put on lot weight now(85 kg) and was trying for the second one from past 3 years ,took metformin,letrazole but nothing worked...so I believe it was only God's miracle.
    So those who are trying ,have faith in God ,he will surely find a way.

     
  • At December 13, 2011 at 4:07 AM, Blogger sharepa said…

    Hi Priya,
    Just want to share my PCo story
    I had irregular periods and was given metformin 500mg.I was 70 kg.I took for a
    a month i conceived and is blessed with a boy baby.He is 8 now.I have put on lot weight now(85 kg) and was trying for the second one from past 3 years ,took metformin,letrazole but nothing worked...so I believe it was only God's miracle.
    So those who are trying ,have faith in God ,he will surely find a way.
    Also be positive ,may be God has other plans for us.
    I get tired very easily and get irritated.My husband does not understand.he says u look fine.what is wrong?but may be these are the effects of pcos.
    all said and then , keep calm and do pranyama it really help
    Good luck

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
About Me
Name: Priya
Living In: Melbourne, VIC, Australia
See my complete profile
Popular Articles
Shoutbox
No new announcements yet!!
Links

Archives
Protected by
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

BLOGGER